ITC Level I Certified Building Investigations
This four day certification course is intended to give the student a depth of the knowledge necessary to perform IR investigations of single or multifamily dwellings to identify envelope, moisture, electrical and mechanical issues. The class covers IR camera operation, and basic report generation, fundamentals of IR science and heat transfer principles. Inspection techniques, tips and tricks, standards and application examples.
A residential IR investigation survey can identify thermal anomalies that indicate missing insulation and insulation defects due to damage, moisture and improper installation. The IR survey can also provide indication of moisture or wetness as well as air infiltration and exfiltration. The course covers the caveats and environmental conditions necessary for a successful energy audit IR survey, as well as pitfalls to avoid.
This course requires submission of an investigation case study field assignment.
Course duration: 4 days
Certification: The learning objectives, contact hours, and written exam of ITC's Level I course are based on the recommendations outlined by ANSI/ASNT CP-105 and CP-189 of the American Society for Non-Destructive Testing. This course also meets the requirements of a Level I course toward Certification under the RESNET IR Interim Guidelines Method 1.
Infrared Course Benefits
- Set up and operate your infrared camera and accessories
- Follow written inspection procedures
- Record quality thermographic data
- Make basic temperature measurements
- List environmental influences, constraints, and industry standards
- Recognize favorable conditions
- Diagnose temperature patterns
- Generate a report
- Introduction to IR Thermography
- Building investigation overview
- Basic IR camera operation
- IR science
- Heat transfer
- Practical guidelines
- Using complementary tools - blower door, R value calculator, dewpoint meter
- Case studies and in-depth discussion
- Application lab exercises
- Resources and existing standards - detailed discussion
- Reporting results
- Survey and certificates
- Field sssignment
- Wrap-up Q&A