Click here for full image!
- Slow Down - The speed limit in school zones is reduced for a reason. Watch for children walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood. Also, look for children playing and congregating near bus stops. Remember to always come to a complete stop at stop signs, checking carefully for children on sidewalks and in crosswalks before proceeding.
- Yield to School Buses - Exercise caution when approaching a school bus or driving near bus stops. Alternating flashing amber lights mean a bus is slowing down to stop – Do the same. NEVER pass a school bus while its red lights are flashing and children are entering or exiting the bus – You must stop.
- Be Alert and Eliminate Distractions - Be aware that children often behave unpredictably, so keep an eye out for kids darting into the street or crossing without first looking both ways for traffic.
- Caution at Intersections - Use caution when approaching intersections or mid-block crosswalks. Parked or stopped vehicles may hide a pedestrian crossing the road.
- Reverse Responsibly - Check for children on the sidewalk, driveway and around your vehicle before slowly backing up.
- Watch for Bicycles - Children on bicycles are often inexperienced, unsteady and unpredictable. Slow down and allow at least three feet of passing distance between your vehicle and the bicycle.
- School Safety Patrollers - Watch for school safety patrollers, identified by their orange vests, and stop as directed. School safety patrollers play a vital role in directing children safely across the street.
- Reminder for Parents – Parents also have a key role in back-to-school safety. Taking the time to teach their children school zone and bus safety rules can really make a difference!
Drivers – Please be cautious and watch out for school children!